Prospective Students

Frequently Asked Questions 

What are the tuition and fees charges for studying at the School of Languages?

All undergraduate programs offered at the School of Languages, as well as at the National University of Córdoba, are free of cost for both Argentine and non-national students. 

What are the modes of delivery available for undergraduate programs at the School of Languages?

All our undergraduate programs are given onsite, at the University Campus. At present, no program is delivered either online or through the blended learning modality. 

If I have studied somewhere else, are equivalencies recognized? 

Everything depends on the subjects you’ve already passed and on the institution you’ve been trained. To find out more, please contact the Student Records Office.

Can I work and study at the same time? 

That is up to you. Some students both study and work. Even though this is more difficult and involves a lot of effort, it is not impossible.

Can I enroll in two programs at the same time?

It is not impossible to do two programs at the same time, but it is very difficult to keep up due to the educational demands of each, between class time and study time.

Why are there some many people who take more than one program at the School of Languages? 

The curricula of the different programs share a few subjects, especially in the lower years. This is why many students choose to enroll in more than one program.

What opportunities for social activities does the University offer? 

The University offers different alternatives for social, sports and recreational activities. Some of them take place on campus and other spaces belonging to the UNC. 

It addition, our School has other proposals for you to participate in activities that you enjoy. For more information, please contact SAE’s Office of Student Culture and Citizenry.

How can I get a scholarship to study abroad? What academic exchange opportunities does the School offer? 

The School of Languages’ Office of Community Engagement and International Affairs is responsible for managing scholarships and exchanges abroad. Exchanges vary depending on each university. For more information, please contact the Office of International Affairs.

What are our teaching track graduates licensed to do?  

A foreign language (English, French, Portuguese, German or Italian) teacher is licensed to:

* Teach such language in public or private institutions at the higher, tertiary, secondary and primary levels, as well as in language academies, etc.;

* Develop educational materials; and

* Teach at the higher, tertiary, secondary and primary levels.

A teacher of Spanish as a Native and Foreign Language is licensed to:

* Teach Spanish as a Native and Foreign Language in formal and informal education settings; and

* Develop teaching materials.

What does a licentiate do? 

A Licentiate graduated from our school is licensed to:

* Direct and participate in research in the field of Linguistics (in offices, departments, or research centers);

* Teach at universities, in the fields of Linguistics and Literature; and

* Conduct research in the fields of Linguistics and Literature.

What does a translator do?  

A National Sworn Translator graduated from our School is trained to:

* Translate texts and public or private documents from the foreign language into their mother tongue and in the opposite direction;

* Translate business, legal, journalistic, literary, scientific and technical texts;

* Edit and revise translations in different subjects; and

* Work as an interpreter in congresses, conferences, guided tours, etc.

What does an interpreter do?  

An interpreter performs a “spoken translation” in congresses, conferences, guided tours, etc. The School of Languages’ National Sworn Translator Program licenses you to work as an interpreter.

Is it possible for translators to interact with other people or are translators generally alone working on the computer? 

Many people think that the translator’s job is lonesome. But in fact, this may be a different story for each translator. Some prefer working alone and others prefer working in teams.

The task of a translator is not lonesome per se, it is the person who chooses how to perform their job.

Nevertheless, a translator’s life involves some alone time, but also some work with other professionals. 

Everything depends on what the professionals do, and the places they work at, since some translators work at institutions where teamwork is essential.

Do on-line automatic translators pose a threat to translators graduated from our school?  

By no means. In spite of the technological advances that have made it possible for on-line automatic translators to exist, these are no substitute for a professional. Said sites or applications are not reliable, nor do they achieve good translations since the construction of a text involves decoding meanings which are many times implicit and depend on the social context they are inserted in.

This work can only be accomplished by a professional translator and is not possible by means of technology.

For this reason, translators are still necessary and required in the labor market.

Why is a translator not licensed to be a teacher nor a teacher licensed to be a translator? What is the difference between both programs?  

The translation program offers specific competencies for translation. A translator lacks the necessary pedagogical tools for teaching and specific knowledge about lesson planning, delivery and evaluation.

The teaching program focuses on teaching and learning processes, but does not offer the tools nor the technical knowledge necessary for dealing with translations or interpreting.

If I have a teaching degree and want to become a translator afterwards, do I have to take the whole program? 

No. Some subjects are included in both programs. If have already have a teaching degree, you only need to take the specific translation subjects.

What is the Introductory Course for?  

The Introductory Course constitutes a compulsory requirement that intends to level the students’ knowledge about the language and to provide the basic knowledge to take first year courses.

What is the Preparation for the Introductory Course? 

It is an independent course from the Introductory Course. Unlike the Introductory Course, the Preparation for the Introductory Course is not an obligatory academic requisite. It consists of 8 free non-obligatory classes given by professors of the School which serve as a preparation for the introductory course to those students that have not studied the chosen language in a formal manner. There is no examination.

Which subjects do I have in the Introductory Course?  

The Introductory Course has two subjects that will depend on the program chosen. 

For the Spanish programs, the subjects in the Introductory Course are Spanish Grammar and Reading and Writing Workshop. 

For the foreign languages programs, the subjects are Spanish Language and Foreign Language. 

Exams: each subject in the Introductory Course includes a midterm exam (and a make-up exam for those who have been absent from, or failed, the exam) and a final examination.

In the foreign languages program, the final examination will be written and oral. Both instances are disqualifying.

Can I take the Introductory Course online?  

* The two Introductory Course subjects of all but English foreign language programs can be taken online. Students will do the subjects on a virtual classroom. Midterm and final exams must be taken on campus. (The online mode of delivery is available only for Introductory Course subjects. The rest of the program is onsite).

Students may also register for a subject as “external” (in Spanish, “libre”); if that is the case, they shall not sit for midterm exams, but they must sit for and pass the final examination in order to complete the subject. 

Does the School provide some kind of help to succeed in the Introductory Course?

Yes. During the entire Introductory Course, professors offer office hours or tutoring at different times. You can attend these (non-compulsory) classes to clear up doubts or receive further explanation on the topics that you are struggling with.

Tutoring hours continue throughout the year to provide support to those students who have not passed the midterm exam or the final examination of the Introductory Course, and need help.

Do I need to bring prior knowledge to the Introductory Course?

In the case of English, you do. Students must have a pre-intermediate level in the foreign language they are to study, since professors will take certain skills for granted. 

As regards the other languages, professors start working from a more basic level. However, professors move through the syllabus at a rather fast pace.

How do I know if my language skills are enough for the Introductory Course? 

If your command of the foreign language is based on high school lessons, it is not impossible for you to pass the Introductory Course, but you will have to put in the effort and work hard. 

If you have studied the foreign language at a private academy for several years or have taken an international examination, the skills and knowledge you have acquired will be of great value for the Introductory Course.

What does being an Exempt‑from‑Final‑Exam (EFFE) (promocional) student, a student in good standing (regular) or an external (libre) student in the Introductory Course mean?  

There are three ways to take and pass the Introductory Course: as an Exempt‑from‑Final‑Exam (EFFE) (promocional) student, a student in good standing (regular) or an external (libre) student. These statuses depend on the grades students get on their midterm exams. 

“Students in good standing” are those who pass all their midterm exams with grades between 4 and 6. To pass the subject, they must sit for a final examination. 

“External” student only sit for the final examination, without being “students in good standing”. Students could have this status for two reasons:

- They were unable to sit for their midterm exams and can only sit for the final examination (with previous registration). In this case, they undergo the learning process on their own without the professor's orientation. 

- They have attended classes and have taken their midterm exams and make-up exams with resulting grades lower than 4 (four). 

Students with this status can sit for the final examination in different sessions during the year. If students do not pass the final examination in December, they must, once again, pre-register for the following year's Introductory Course.

Exempt‑from‑Final‑Exam (EFFE) students are those who pass midterm exams with 7 (seven) or higher. Thus, students are exempted from sitting for the final examination.

What happens if I pass one of the Introductory Course subject and fail the other?

The Introductory Course subjects are prerequisites for first-year subjects. In other words, students must be in good standing to attend first-year subjects. They also need to have passed these subjects to sit for the final examination or to be exempt from taking the final examination. 

In the Spanish program, students must become in good standing or must pass both subjects to be able to take first-year subjects. In the teaching, translation or licentiate tracks in a foreign language, if students pass a subject but fail the other, they can take those first-year subjects for which the subjects passed are a prerequisite. If students fail a subject, they can sit for the final examination as external students in April, July and November. To study for the final examination, students can attend office hours (tutoring) with professors throughout the year.

What does it mean when a subject is a prerequisite for another? 
At university level, some subjects are a prerequisite for taking other subjects. This means that, to be able to take a subject, it is necessary to become a “student in good standing” or to have passed the final exam of the previous subject. For example, to attend almost all subjects for the first year, it is necessary to be a “student in good standing” or to pass the Introductory Course.

What is a midterm exam and a final examination? 
At university level, there are two types of evaluations or exams: midterm exams and final examinations. Midterm exams assess part of the content of a subject. In general, there are two midterm exams, but there can be three depending on how the subject is organized. These exams are taken throughout the year of the subject. It is not necessary to register for a midterm exam. 
Final examinations evaluate the whole content of a subject. In each subject, students sit for one final examination, in general, after taking the subject. Final examinations can be taken on different dates. To sit for a final examination, students need to previously REGISTER on the Guaraní system. This can be done online or on the computers at the School entrance. If students do not previously register, they will not be able to sit for the final examination.

When are half year and year long subjects?
Half year subjects are taken from April to July or from August to December. Year long subjects are taken throughout the whole year.